Skip to main content

Voyage

 
Did you ever notice how an artistic explanation can sometimes be superior to any scientific or philosophical one, and therefore more enjoyable and fun? This week ABBA published a new album named Voyage, after a forty years long sabbatical, during which me and the rest of the world who admires them could only pray to God for this to happen. 
Although all songs are brilliant, to me Bumblebee stands out for the ecological theme of its lyrics, expressing anxiety about the possibility that humans can cause the extinction of this insect species. I will spare my words by not trying to describe the magic of their music, suffice it to say they are the reason why I love music, and that I will never forget the moment I first heard Super Trouper, forty years ago, played on a brand new stereo device my parents bought so that their children could learn to love music and better socialize through that. The transformation which that beautiful song sung by beautiful ladies produced in me was so huge and inexplicable, so that I started to love life from that moment on.
I will focus on the magic of their texts. 
I cannot overstate how meaningful is poetry of each and every song on the new album, telling its story clearly and precisely. Every verse of Bumblebee resonates with me, from the pure joy of spending time in a garden, to the worry that future generations might be deprived of it, and it reminds me of another their song, Move On, that has somewhat different thematic. The similarity is the wonder of nature and the wonder of life, but the latter one also asks these interesting questions: “What really makes the difference between all dead and living things, the will to stay alive?“ and “But how can I explain the wonder of the moment, to be alive, to feel the sun that follows every rain?”
Altough this actually just rephrases the question asked by people for millennia, it does this in such an ellegant and unpretentious way, that one can ignore that fact, especially when science is still struggling to give a more concrete answer to these questions than any song is supposed to give. It is the only song I have ever dreamt about that I am listening to it in my dream, at least that I can recall, I felt wonderful in the dream because that music is so great, and after that I woke up with a strong bittersweet feeling of nostalgia for my youth, that irreversibly passed by, as well as the era of making such music delights. Fortunately, ABBA is back, and at least for a moment brought me back to my youth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Cancer and Evolution of Multicellular Organisms

  I noticed on youtube an excellent podcast called  Target Cancer , hosted by Sanjay Juneja, about all the latest technologies and treatments for cancer, and decided to review two of its episodes which I find particularly important and informative, the one in which a guest was Jason Fung:  The Surprising Link Between Intermittent Fasting, Diabetes, and Cancer. Dr. Fung Explains - Part 2  , and the one in which a guest was Michael Levin:  Fixing cancer cells and Immortality .  To me, there is no doubt about which of the two questions mentioned in the title of this essay is more important, it is cancer, however, the connection between them increases the importance of the other too. To an untrained eye in this issues, to which the existence of this web site may also come as a surprise:  https://www.thethirdwayofevolution.com/  , let me sketch that connection. In his exposé, Dr. Fung uses this table to compare traits of three categories of living agents: The last row raises the question, i

Two Challenges

 I continued to follow Michael Levin on youtube,  Michael Levin & Matthew Segall discuss Meaning, Matter & Memory in Developmental Biology  and started to notice a rather strange comment repeated by that brilliant scientist. When people ask "Where is the information that controlls morphogenesis written?", he adds in that context the following question "Where does the shape of the bell curve of normal distribution that emerges in stochastic processes (like when dropping marbles into Galton board) come from?", trying to say that not everything has to be written somewhere, "we get some things for free from mathematics". And this is true, we get so many things like that, that is a whole point of applied mathematics, for example a trajectory of a stone thrown by hand is a parabola, it may degenerate to a line if we throw it vertically, and there is always a slight air resistance, but if we disregard that, we can ask the same question: "Where does p

More on AGI

  Have you ever wondered what mathematical abstraction describes a computer program most adequately? If you consider it a black box, then the right answer is probably a function, because from the outside a program appears as a mapper of some input data into some output data. If you consider how it does what it does, then some additional abstractions may come into mind, like an algorithm, because a program is a sequence of instructions, non linear, in a sense that it can make loops, branching, forking, spawning, calling (sub)functions in the main function, etc. But it always presents a decomposition of the main task into smaller steps, subtasks, so, this decomposition is the essence of what an algorithm is. Obviously there must be some smallest steps then, that need no decomposition in order to be performed, or rather, that cannot be decomposed to anything more basic/fundamental on a certain computer. These are either machine instructions, or instructions of the higher level programming